Standard DBS (CRB) Checks
What is a Standard DBS Check?
A Standard DBS Check is processed by the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly Criminal Records Bureau) and searches the applicants’ criminal history for any cautions, warnings, reprimands and convictions, both spent and unspent.
Who can apply for a standard criminal record check?
This level of check is only available for employers to obtain on behalf of their employees with their consent, in order to make suitability decisions.
Individuals must apply for this level of check through an employer or contractor only. If you are self-employed, you are unable to apply for a Standard DBS Check directly – you will need to apply through an association or organisation that uses your services. Individuals and self-employed however, are able to apply for a Basic DBS Check for themselves.
Standard DBS checks are only available for people working in a role that is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975.
Here are some examples of occupations that will require a standard disclosure (DBS check):
What are the benefits of having a Standard DBS?
The benefits of employees having a Standard DBS Check are:
- Ability to make safer recruitment decisions and vet staff to a high standard
- Gives peace of mind to organisations’ stakeholders
- Reduce risk levels within your organisation
- Increase staff retention and decrease turnover, saving time and money on your recruitment process
- Increased trust in your brand/organisation
- Standard DBS certificates can be signed up to the DBS Update Service (will open in a new tab) and can be transferred between job roles as long as the level of check conducted meets the new job role’s requirements
How long will a Standard DBS check take to process?
Apply for your Standard DBS Check online and it will fast track the process of completion compared with applying via a paper application. Typically, Standard DBS Checks are completed within 48 hours.
Our new vetting services and how they can enhance your recruitment process
To further meet our clients’ needs, we have introduced a range of vetting services. These services provide a robust and comprehensive screening process, to minimise the risks to your business.…
Childminding – which DBS checks do you require?
As a Childminder, it is imperative that you’re safeguarding the children in your care. By having the correct childminding DBS checks, you are not only complying with regulations, but you’re…