Standard DBS (formerly CRB) Check
This form of check is processed by the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly Criminal Records Bureau) and searches the applicants’ criminal history for any cautions, warnings, reprimands and convictions (both spent and unspent). This level of check is only available for employers to obtain on behalf of their employees.
Cost – £36.08
Here are some examples of occupations that will require a standard DBS check:
- Financial Services
What are the benefits?
The benefits of employees having standard DBS checks are:
- Organisations can make safer recruitment decisions
- Gives peace of mind to customers/users of the organisation to know the staff are vetted to high standards
- Completing standard DBS on eligible employees or volunteers will reduce risk levels within your organisation
- Standard DBS’ can be signed up to the Update Service and can be transferred between job roles as long as the level of check conducted meets the other roles requirements
Enhanced DBS (formerly CRB) Check
This level of DBS (CRB) Check processed by the DBS (formerly CRB) searches the applicants’ criminal history for any cautions, warnings, reprimands or convictions (both spent and unspent). Additionally the Enhanced DBS Check also searches the children and vulnerable adults ‘barred lists’ to see if the applicant is barred from working with those groups. The Enhanced DBS (CRB) Check process gives local police forces the opportunity to add any relevant or ‘soft’ information they may hold about the applicant. For example, if someone is being investigated for a crime but has yet to be charged. This level of check is only available for employers to obtain on behalf of their employees.
Cost – £54.08
Enhanced disclosures are recommended for those working in regulated activity. Here are some examples of occupations that will require an enhanced DBS check:
- Dental Practices
- Drivers and transport
- Leisure and sport
- Private Tutors
- Recruitment Consultants
- Religion and faith
- Social work
- GP Surgery staff
What are the benefits?
The benefits of employees having enhanced DBS checks are:
- Enhances your safeguarding processes and may help to reduce your risks
- Enables you to make safer recruitment decisions
- Identify candidates who may be unsuitable for certain work, especially that which may involve children or adults
- Provides wider access to criminal record information
- It is a legal requirement in the UK for regulated activity employers and organisations
- It is illegal for anyone barred by the DBS to work, or apply to work with the sector (children or adults) from which they are barred. It is also illegal for an employer to knowingly employ a barred person in the sector from which they are barred.
- Keeps your organisation legally responsible and in line with The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2013 and the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006.
If you are unsure what level of check you require, our DBS advisors can assist you.
Please call us on 029 2082 7501 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Disclosure Type||DBS Charge
|Service Fee per application (inc VAT)||Total Charge per application|
|N.B. There are no sign up fees or monthly / annual registration costs.|
|Enhanced with Adult First Check||£50.00||£10.08||£60.08|
|List 99 Check||–||£12.00||£12.00|
|Volunteers (Standard or Enhanced)||–||£10.08||£10.08|